Kaltura Media Gallery
Kaltura Media Gallery houses media that has been shared with that specific Sakai site.
Add Kaltura Media Gallery
You will need to add Kaltura Media Gallery to your sites by navigating to the Site Info tab located in the left navigation bar.
Click on the Manage Tools Tab
Navigate to the Content Sharing Tools section
Select Media Gallery
Check the box to the left of Media Gallery to select it.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Continue button.
Sakai will ask you to confirm the changes that you have made to the site. Anything in red text is a change that has been made. To confirm the changes click Finish at the bottom of the page.
Find New Tool in Toolbar
By default any new tool that is added to a Sakai site is automatically sent to the bottom of the list (right above Help).
Click "Add Media" button. This will display the contents of your Kaltura My Media library.
Check the box to the left of the media. You may select multiple. Note: Any media with a grey check in the box has already been included in the site.
In the upper right corner, click Publish.
Please refer to the article on how to Edit Media in Kaltura My Media.
You may have several videos that refer to a specific topic. You can create a playlist to display them all together.
Click on Actions
Select Edit from the dropdown menu.
Click on the Playlists tab.
Click on Create New
Select Manual Playlist from the dropdown menu.
Enter Required Information
Enter a title then click "Add Media"
- Click on the "add" button located to the right of each thumbnail to add that media to the playlist.
- Selected media are displayed on the right. You may re-arrange the order they appear.
- Click Save.
Sharing Your Playlist with Students
Within the Media Gallery
Once Playlists have been created they are shown by default on the Media Gallery homepage.
When a student clicks on the Playlist title, they are brought to the Playlist page. All of the videos for that playlist are displayed to the right of the main player. Once a video has finished, the next video will start to play. Students have the option of jumping to any video in the list.
Adding a Playlist to a Lessons Page
If you want to control when students access a playlist, such as during a specific week, or if you would like to add specific instructions, you may embed the playlist with a "Lessons" page and hide the Media Gallery from student view.
Get the Embed code
Go to the Playlist editing screen. Then click on the embed symbol "</>"
- You can choose either a horizontal or vertical playlist layout. The horizontal layout will have a main player and the list of videos to the side. The vertical layout will have a main player at the top with the list of videos beneath.
- Select if you want the videos to autoplay once the previous video has finished.
- Lastly, click "Copy Embed", then click "done".
Navigate to the Lessons Page
In the Lessons page click on "Add Content"
Select "Embed Content on Page"
A preview of the playlist will appear, if you approve, scroll to the bottom and click "Save", if not you may click "Cancel" or "Start Over".
The playlist will now be embedded in the Lessons page.
Viewing Media Analytics
You can view data about your media in this section. Access analytics by clicking on Actions in Media Gallery.
Analytics Page Overview
You will automatically be taken to the Dashboard view where you can see the following:
- Navigation tabs (see below)
- Media analytics: displays how many files are in the site, how many have been viewed and how many plays the collection has gotten.
- Most Popular Media list: see which media is your course's favorite.
- User Engagement and Contribution: simple data that allows you to see how often specific students are engaging with your media as well as who your top contributors are.
Here you are able to view the different titles in your site, who they were uploaded by, how many plays they have had as well as the average for the number of times people did not finish watching the media (Avg. Drop-Off).
Here you are able to see how many unique videos were viewed as well as other items that might interest you.