STU - T&Q - How do I use Respondus Lockdown Browser to take an assessment
This document will explain:
- the purpose and features of Respondus Lockdown Browser
- what will be seen if Respondus Lockdown Browser is not installed on your computer
- how to download Respondus Lockdown Browser
- how to take a quiz with Respondus Lockdown Browser
What are the features of Respondus Lockdown Browser?
Here are some of the examples of what students cannot do when using Respondus Lockdown Browser:
- access other applications or programs
- use keystrokes combinations
- take screenshots, print screens, or share screens
- use the function keys
- use the right click menu
- go to another URL - Links to other web servers will not compromise the testing environment.
- use the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars
- use messaging programs
- close the assessment until the assessment is submitted for grading
The browser's toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh, and Stop functions.
Assessments will be shown in full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until the assessment is submitted for grading.
What if I don't have Respondus Lockdown Browser?
If you try to access a Respondus Lockdown Browser-enabled assessment from outside the Respondus Lockdown Browser, you will see this error.
How to download Respondus Lockdown Browser?
Click on the assessment that has Respondus Lockdown Browser Enabled
Note: Assessments stating Requires Respondus Lockdown Browser indicates that the tool is required for test taking.
Click on Begin Assessment
Click on Click here to download
By clicking, another tab will open to the download page on the Respondus Lockdown Browser site.
Then click Install Now
It will download as a .zip file. Click on the file to download onto your desktop. After you click on Install package in your Downloads, this box will open. Click Continue to proceed to installing.
After clicking, you will proceed to:
- Destination Select
- Installation Type
Within the Summary, it will state the successful installation of Lockdown Browser.
How to take an assessment on Respondus Lockdown Browser?
- Search for Lockdown Browser within your computer searches.
- A box will appear having the student Choose a Server
- Select Rutgers Sakai in the drop down menu
- Click Continue
After clicking, you will proceed to regularly log into Sakai and proceed to the assessment that is link to Respondus Lockdown Browser.