Creating Media with CaptureSpace
CaptureSpace is the tool that is used to create media for Kaltura.
You can launch CaptureSpace from "Kaltura My Media" by 1) clicking on "Add New" and then 2) selecting "Create Recording".
Note: The first time you access this feature, you will be asked to install the CaptureSpace plug-in. For faculty/staff using computers on campus, this plug-in can be installed without administrative rights.
You will be prompted to install the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder plug-in. Choose your machine type and click on Download.
Save the file to your computer. Find the saved file and click on it to begin installation.
CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder
Once installed, the CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder will open.
Note: You only need to do this once, you will not have to install the plug-in again to create media on the computer you are using.
Types of Media
Kaltura allows you to choose from several media types.
Presentations and Lectures
When you choose this option you will see a few items that can be adjusted that will change the output.
- Camera: you can choose to record at a lower resolution to create a smaller file size. If you will be streaming from Kaltura the file size isn't an issue.
- Screen Capture: if you have multiple screens you can choose which you want to record here. You can also change the recording resolution here as well.
- Presentation: By switching this to on, you are able to browse your machine to look for the presentation you want to record.
- You can move the webcam window around so you don't block important information on your presentation
** A note about Presentations and Lectures while using a Mac
If you intend to use your keyboard to advance the slides of your presentation, you MUST complete these steps FIRST. The slides will change on your screen, however, they will not change in your recording. You cannot advance the slides of your presentation using the arrow keys on your keyboard and have the changes take place within your recording unless you do the following:
- Enable keyboard actions for presentation recording on Mac OS X 10.8, under System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Keyboard check “Enable access for assistive devices”. On Mac OS X 10.10, under System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab, check the box to allow access to Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder.
- Use the arrows at the bottom left of the presentation to advance your slides as you're recording if you don't want to change your keyboard settings.
Select whether you want to record your Full Screen or a Select Area.
You can also draw on your screen: choose different tools, colors, brush widths, etc. (See the "Using the Toolbar" section for more information)
Screen and Webcam
- It will record your full screen (or a specific area that you choose) and webcam.
- You can move the window that displays your webcam recording to different locations on the screen to avoid blocking important areas in your screencast
- Records just your webcam.
- Records just audio with no visuals
A toolbar will appear while you are recording. Sometimes you will have to locate the toolbar at the bottom of your screen. The toolbar will change depending on the type of media you created. In most cases, you will have the ability to:
- Use the Draw button to draw on a Screen recording
- Click on Pause to pause a recording
- Click on Done to finish recording and continue on to the Editing Options
- Click on Cancel to finish and not Save
Editing Your Media
Kaltura does not offer powerful editing capability.
- Trim allows you to alter the beginning or end of a clip
- Chop allows you to alter media from in between the beginning and end points.
- Titles allows you to add a slide with text at the beginning of the media.
- Credits allows you to add a slide with text at the end of the media